Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Empty Bowls

Sunday, November 12, 2006 San Antonio Potters Guild presented "Empty Bowls 2006" on the grounds of the Southwest School of Art and Craft. SAPG members donated over 1000 bowls to raise funds for SAMMinisteries--a local program to feed and provide temporary housing for the homeless. It was a georgeous day and we were overwhelmed by the community turn-out--we ran out of bowls--the first time in our 7 years of sponsoring Empty Bowls. For $15 the patrons select one of the bowls and then are given bread and their choice of one the fabulous soups provided by some of San Antonio's finest restraunts. It is a good deal--there are many beautiful bowls to select from and at $15 each a terrific bargin.

I was serving as a cashier. At one point a woman paying for her bowl athe next cashier's station said, "Gay Judson". I looked over expecting to see an old friend but I did not recognize her. Then she exclaimed that she had just bought one of my bowls and was excited to meet the potter. Well, we had a good laugh over her enthusiasm. Then she asked if I would sign her pot. I pointed out that the pot was signed on the bottom. But she wanted it signed with a pen--so she could show that she had met the potter! We laughed and sent her on her way--long lines forming behind her. In a few minutes she was back with a Sharpie pen and a photographer! The photographer was my dear teacher, Diana Kersey, who was getting as big a kick out of this as we were. So I signed her pot and Diana took the picture. Very flattering to an immature potter!

No comments: