Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I've had so many wonderful ceramic adventures this year: NCECA in March; Ron Philbeck's workshop featuring Doug Fintch and Hannah McAndrew in April; walking Austin's "Art of the Pot" in May; a great time with Tony Clennell when he returned to Texas in June; and this month I got to meet and attend John Britt's glaze chemistry workshop--a long wished for opportunity. So many stimulating experiences, I should be cranking out the work. But I'm not. It is HOT here and even with a small A/C unit in the garagio it is still way too hot around here--57 days OVER 100° already--and 110° predicted for Saturday. And, as announced earlier, we have a new grand baby! Sweet, beautiful baby girl, Caroline. Then to top it all off we are having the kitchen remodeled! What a time-sink and head-ache that is! Today is the 15th day without a kitchen--and we won't get the counters and sink in until a week from tomorrow.

Somewhere along the way I lost my steam. Tony had me fired up about making several compotes with different aspects to mix and match. I was excited about that--but the fire dwindled. I have glazed two and have one in need of glaze--but there is nothing exciting enough to photograph.

In spite of the heat, the workshop with John Britt last weekend was great. I came away with a long 'to-do' list for exploring a favorite glaze. I will do those…but will probably wait for a break in the weather. It is so bad here that we were wishing Irene would head our way--foolish, I know. I guess some of the North & South Carolina folk are wishing we had gotten our wish.

On a brighter note: the kitchen is looking great! I was overwhelmed by all the decisions I had to make--the hardest was paint color for the walls! I anxied over that for a week or two. I brought 5 different sample cans of wall paint home(each an independent trip to the paint store!) and had splotches all over the kitchen. I kept running out to beg to bring home the cabinet sample to hold up next to the newest test paint again! But now that the walls are painted and the cabinets are in I am convinced that I made the very best choice. Jim and I both are very pleased with the result. I am remembering watching (via her blog) Sandy Miller re-do her kitchen herself! It was amazing even then--more so now that I know more about what all is involved that we are having done for us!

Pray for rain.

3 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

The weather has really kept me from getting much done here too. It's too hot to fire the kiln, studio has no AC and I have been packing a kid up for the last month. I'm hoping for a busy and productive September! Post some kitchen pics, mine could use a remodel too :)

Linda Starr said...

I half hoped Irene would head your way too as I have read so much about the severe drought there, I do hope Texas gets some rain. We remodeled our last kitchen and it took over a year I think, the first guy up and quit in the middle of the job and I had to get subs and others' to help finish it, but it turned out great in the end. Good luck with yours. What color did you choose?

Judy Shreve said...

Oh Gay - a new grand baby and a new kitchen to design - plus such heat. No wonder you aren't focussed on your ceramics right now.

Just think of all you've taken in this past year - so when the weather cools and you're using your kitchen again - you'll have lots of inspiration to pull from. I'd still drop everything to spend time with that new baby girl!

I would love to see pictures of your new kitchen.

Isn't John (Britt) a great teacher? I got so much out of his workshop!