Wednesday, October 19, 2011

my wonderful new kitchen

I've been holding off posting pictures of the kitchen--the special part of the new kitchen--till my pottery friends could see it live. They were here last night so here we go.

Besides the new cabinets and applicances--which we've known we must replace since we bought this house 4 years ago--the most exciting part is the 'backsplash' behind the range. My teacher, Diana Kersey, does wonderful architectural ceramic work. She has had contracts with the city to install her work on bridges here in San Antonio (see some of her work here.)
Welcome to my kitchen:







It is so hard to show the 3D effect.

And there is a bit of it over the sink.


In the photos the cabinets and counter tops look white but they are a pale yellow and the walls an old gold--perfect backdrop for the wonderful sunflowers Diana built.

My kitchen is now the happiest place to be in our home!

4 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Love the backsplash - and how wonderful to know the artist. It's almost like having a friend in the kitchen with you. Beautiful job.

Tracey Broome said...

WOW! Makes me want to get out to the studio and make a back splash! Beautiful :)

Sandy Miller said...

Gay, BRAVO! Standing ovation here!! Just beautiful and well deserved as kitchens are just the longest haul but finding they are well worth the effort.
Sunflowers to greet you every morning is wonderful way to start the day :)

Stardust Memorials said...

Oh my goodness this is beautiful! I wish I had a kitchen that looked as fabulous as this one does! It really is beautiful with the backdrop of sunflowers. A very nice touch!