Sunday, June 26, 2011

another day



Another bowl.

And four bases.

And another 16 test tiles. I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for an easier way to produce 200 test tiles! Sixteen a day will take 11 days to make 200. And I'm sure I won't be able to be in the studio for 11 consecutive days. In fact, I've decided I need to dedicate 2 or 3 days a week to 'studio days' and try to honor that and let the other 4 or 5 days be 'family' days. It does not work to go out for a short time. When I get back things have 'over dried' and have to be recycled. So planning on a couple studio days with no work 'left over' for later is how I need to think about it. The other days I need to focus on family and household activities.

I was touched by Jen Mecca's post today. She is a strong lady to be able to meet her children's special needs, enjoy family life and still make time to pursue her art. Lovely lady, lovely art!


3 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I agree with you on Jen's post, I sent her a long email about it. A mom has to do what a mom has to do, I think we have all been there in some way. I have no suggestions on the test tiles. What I do is this, it may be of no help for those that want tiles to show how the glaze runs though. I have a rectangular cookie cutter, I roll out a slab and I cut out the rectangles, as many as I can get out of a slab, this goes fast and I number the tiles and have a sheet of paper that goes along with them (I have to number them because if they are raku fired you can't see any writing and I keep a bunch of them around in case I mix up a new test and want to see how it looks quickly). If I want to see how the glaze breaks I grab a stamp and do some quick stamping. They aren't very pretty but they give me the info I need. Then when I have glazes that I like I make a pretty set with a hole in them that I can hang. You can look through my blog, I have posted them a couple of times. This is a quick and dirty way to do it, but it works for me....sometimes when I am making something with slabs, I'll just use the leftovers and make a few tiles so I always have some on hand. By the way, we didn't get near your sister's place,I had written her info down just in case, maybe next time! There is still so much I want to see!

Judy Shreve said...

Gay - love the bowls & pedestals! I was also touched by Jennifer's post the other day.

I make test tiles by rolling out a slab & use a cookie cutter to cut out a tile. Let it dry enough to handle - then texture and score a number (I number the back). I punch a hole in the top so I can hang them.

After firing I use a sharpie to make notes on the back -- so I don't always have to find my notebook - lol

I don't think it's so important at low fire for the glaze to have a chance to run - so laying the tiles flat to fire is okay. You don't get much glaze movement at that low temp.

Ron said...

I guess I'd better get over there and read Jen's post soon.
I agree w. Judy about the tiles and how they can be flat for low fire. I like the idea of making them big enough to make some notes on the back w. a Sharpie too.