Thursday, May 24, 2007

and then today...

I was sailing along on a bit of a high since determining my palette thinking that I now had a handle on the work for the July show. Then this morning as I was doing my morning stroll through the pottery blogs and Clayart listserve I saw a lot of beautiful pots that are not “just thrown and dunked into a pot of glaze”. And now I am insecure again. I guess it was Tony Clennell’s website that especially got to me. Lots of loose throwing and textural work, wood fired, beautiful “interesting” work. So down I go. But now, thinking about “work that I like,” I get in touch with how much I like the work of Gwyn Hanssen-Pigott and Edith Heath—both very simple, pure lines and color…

I trimmed the 10 bowls I made yesterday. Then, after trimming the bowls, I took a 2 1/2# lump of clay and threw a bowl that I intended to be the top of a pedestal bowl. And then I threw the pedestal. Got them together this evening. I segmented the rim and then pinched the segments together at intervals of 1/8 of the circle. I repeated that on the base. Later I decided it called for some sprigs at the pinched point. Then I attached it all together.

I like the look but the bowl may be a bit small. It would make a great punch bowl if it were larger. The cut edge and the sprigs give it a very festive look, I think. Again, I hope it does not slump in the firing. The first one did not slump in the bisque firing but I have not glaze fired it yet.

No comments: