Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hey, Tracey...

I think these candlesticks, made by Suze Lindsay, look like they came right off the stage of "Lion King"! Can't imagine getting any closer to recreating the spirit of LK in clay. In a way, it is a shame that I have them and can see the relation to the stage production because now my mind is locked on these pieces as best shot.



They live on the dining room table next to the wonderful Chupicuaro (circa 100 BC) my father-in-law gave us which he collected years ago in Mexico--when it was still legal to bring this work into the US. I love the pairing of these pieces--separated by 2000 years in age yet with the same spirit. Or so it seems to me.



Unfortunately, not the best picture.

2 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Wow! you are so right, they are exactly the Lion King! I was thinking about your post and how great it would be to capture the essence of the puppets and that wonderful woman that does the intro with that amazing song. Try using the candle sticks as a starting point and then maybe put some giraffe heads on them or something. It's been my experience that even when I flat out copy someone it ends up looking completely different. You will come up with something, I think you have your inspiration piece!

Linda Starr said...

wow the tripod sticks and bowl are wonderful and look great together. I think Tracey is right even if I try to copy someone I can't even come close.