Monday, March 12, 2007

hanging on

Well, I did fill the kiln and start it today. It is not really “full” but the contents are spread out through the kiln pretty equally. I don’t know why I was so eager to fire today. I have said to myself, “I don’t have great expectations, but I do have high hopes.” So that is pretty much a set-up for grief! I am most eager to see the test tiles. The rest of the pieces are all pretty much test pieces, too, because I have covered them with the new glazes to see what they will do on larger work. And I had problems with the application of the glazes to the larger pieces—clearly I need to seek help in that area.

I was a little encouraged today when I read Sand Miller's blog. She had photos of some pots she had just pulled from her kiln (beautiful pots). She said she had been working to get these pieces for 2 years! And she talked about how much she had learned from the exercie. I think she once said she has been potting for 20 years. Makes my four year practice look pretty puny! If I can get another 16 years to work on my pottery I may be in good shape. Hang in there girl!

No comments: